Xylan® (Pronounced Zy-lan) are a family of fluoropolymer hybrid coatings consisting of PTFE, PFA and FEP. They are first and foremost dry-film lubricants. However, they have many desirable secondary properties. In the industrial world, Xylan Coatings are known as extreme performance coatings.
The application range is hugely diverse and the list of benefits of Xylan® are lengthy. Such as:
✓ Low friction: coefficient of friction as low as 0.02
✓ Wear resistance under extreme pressures
✓ Corrosion and chemical resistance
✓ Non-stick and release properties with some food approved coatings.
✓ Weather resistance: against sunlight, UV, salt water and road chemicals.
✓ Wide temperature operating range from -250°c to 285°c.
✓ Wide colour range
✓ Excellent adhesion to almost all metals, some rubbers, plastics and even to itself.
✓ Pliability – many Xylan® coatings will bend freely and repeatedly without breaking.
A few examples of the various types of Xylans® that are applied at EMC:
- Xylan® 1010 – This is the product that the manufacturer of Xylan® at the time, Whitford Worldwide, built their business upon. Xylan® 1010 is a PTFE based dry film lubricant designed to primarily reduce friction in high-speed environments, with the coefficient of friction being tested to as low as 0.02.
The formulation has remained relatively untouched since its creation as the product remains a strong performer across a wide spectrum of industries. The initial success of Xylan® 1010 provided Whitford the opportunity to expand their product portfolio and offer the vast range of Xylans® available today.
- Xylan® 1014 – Improved abrasion resistance over Xylan 1010. Typical applications are rotary actuators, bearings, carburettors and garden tools.
- Xylan® 1070 – PTFE based coating used over phosphate or other pre-treatments to achieve up to 5,000 hours salt spray resistance. Typical applications; threaded fasteners, washers, valve stems etc.
- Xylan® 1270 – Offers excellent chemical and corrosion resistance. Protects from weathering and exposure to lubricants. Ideal for a number of automotive applications.
- Xylan® 1424 – This is effectively the water-based version of Xylan® 1070. A low friction coating with excellent corrosion resistance. Designed for fasteners, piston casings, compressors etc. It combines the performance characteristics of 1014 & 1270 in one VOC-compliant coating.
- Xylan® XLR – Food approved, two coat fluoropolymer system offering outstanding release. The XLR basecoat contains more binding agents to optimise adhesion to the substrate, and the topcoat contains a high % of PTFE to provide exceptional release. Providing XLR with superior release and friction reduction properties compared to its competitors. Typical uses are food chutes/hoppers, baking trays, frying pans, mould tools.
- Xylan® 8840 – FEP based system offering an excellent non-stick, easy clean coating for mould release in both engineering and food industries. Can be reinforced and enhanced with a clear FEP topcoat.
Please get in touch for recommendations of which Xylan® is best to use for your specific application.
We work with out customers to provide the best end result.
Is Xylan Coating Safe?
Xylan coatings, once correctly applied and cured, are perfectly safe. Of course, this depends on what exactly they are to be used for. However, a number of Xylan coatings are both WRAS and FDA approved if this is a concern.
Is Xylan A PTFE?
PTFE, Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene, is found in may types of Xylan. Xylan is a family of fluoropolymer coatings, some containing PTFE, some containing FEP, PFA, Molybdenum Disulphide and more. Each type of Xylan is formulated and designed for a particular application. Therefore, it is best to discuss with an experienced advisor at EMC for the most suitable coating system based on your needs.
What Does Xylan Coating Do?
Each type of Xylan is formulated and designed for a particular application. This includes anti-corrosion, anti-friction, wear and abrasion resistance, non-stick/release, chemical resistance, temperature protection and much more. Consequently, it is best to discuss with an experienced advisor at EMC for the most suitable coating system based on your needs.
Is Xylan And Teflon The Same?
Teflon and Xylan are both brand names. Both Teflon and Xylan are a family of coatings, often used in the food industry and associated with frying pans. Although they are excellent for this application, they can also be used to coat chutes, hoppers, multi-head weighers, sealer bars, fasteners and much more.
We are approved applicators with decades of experience in applying a wide range of Xylan®fluoropolymer hybrid coatings. Xylan® is used across the globe in an extensive list of industries including automotive, oil & gas, food, aerospace, rubber to name but a few. Therefore, whatever the finishing requirement, there’s a good chance we have a Xylan® to solve the problem.
Xylan Coating On Washers
Here at EMC, we apply Xylan to thousands of washers that are used across the globe. Our tailored application processes ensure that optimum corrosion resistance is achieved in the most efficient possible way.
Furthermore, our use of specially designed primers and pre-treatments (such as grit-blasting and zinc phosphating) guarantee Xylan achieves the best possible protection. With some EMC applied Xylan systems achieving up to 3000-hour salt spray resistance. Therefore, Xylan truly is the perfect coating choice for the harshest of environments. Oil rigs, offshore wind turbines, aerospace and marine environments are all no match for a washer coated in Xylan by East Midland Coatings.
To achieve such resistance against rust, 100% coverage is essential. Anywhere uncoated will give rust the chance to start spreading. For instance, a cheap, tumble spray operation that leaves significant witness marks simply would not cut the mustard. So, our process has been designed and tweaked over decades to ensure 100% coverage is achieved.
As you can see from the process photographs, we apply a vibrant yellow Xylan to a number of washers. But, we also apply a selection of other colours. With each colour variant offering the same corrosion resistance properties as one another.
To source washers coated in Xylan, contact the experts at East Midland Coatings Ltd.
Anti-corrosion coatings can instantly optimise metal components in longevity and performance. With our Xylan coating services, for instance, we can achieve a wide range of specifications given to us by our clients. As a premium anti-corrosion coating, Xylan can vastly...
East Midland Coatings will be exhibiting at the Processing & Packaging Machinery Association (PPMA) For the second year running EMC will be exhibiting from the 27th to the 29th of September at the PPMA exhibition. PPMA is the UK’s trade association for...
The construction industry, like many others, is continuously adapting and evolving to meet new age demands. As a result, enhancing metal machinery and equipment for longer-lasting performance is vital more than ever. As renowned industrial coating suppliers, we know...
East Midland Coatings Ltd
Hinckley Fields Industrial Estate
Leicestershire LE10 1YE
+44 (0)1455 619176
In conjunction with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will not share your data with any other party. Your details will only be used to contact you in response to this enquiry and any future communications with East Midlands Coatings Ltd
If you would like information about our services or have a specific enquiry, please get in touch…..